Tomorrow, February 14th, is a day set aside for people in the country to express their love toward one another. I'm not a fan of this--for lack of a better word--"holiday" and I make no bones about it. I feel, and have always felt, that it is a sad situation when we have to have a day set aside to remind us to express our love toward those we love! It's my opinion that this day is just a way for people to make money and to entice those, who can't afford it, to spend money they don't have, and make them feel guilty if they don't do it!
Now, with that said, may I confess that I am just a big hypocrite. I have been guilty of baking valentine cookies with my children and sending a valentine and treat to my darling grandchildren. I loved making and exchanging valentines with my friends in school and I'm guilty of showing my husband extra affection on that day.
Now, with that confession, may I just say I sincerely do believe the love we share with others should be displayed as if everyday is Valentine's Day. The Lord commanded us in Matthew 22:37-40, "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
Really, wouldn't it be nice if we would remember these great commandments as we drive down the road, as we stand impatiently in a line, as we see someone in distress. Then we wouldn't need a day such as Valentine's Day.
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, Kathi, I used to feel the same way about Valentine's Day but then decided not to begrudge anything that encouraged us to increase our expressions of love. I decided that similar arguments could be made against Christmas but I wouldn't want to miss out on a special day to celebrate my Savior simply because I ought to be celebrating Him all year long... :)
Post a Comment