Monday, March 29, 2010

COURAGE--BE NOT AFRAID, THE LORD THY GOD IS WITH THEE

I have just finished reading the new Gerald Lund book entitled THE UNDAUNTED. It is a story about the courageous pioneers who were called on a mission to settle the rugged Four Corners area of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. Their mission was to bring civilization to a lawless, untamed, dangerous area. However, settling the area was the least of their worries. First, they had to find a way to get to the area with families, wagons, and livestock. Their mission was "to go through even if they could not." The challenges they faced are un-comprehensible to me but the word "impossible" was not in their vocabulary.

I would like to share two scripture passages that I feel reflects the courage of our beloved pioneers. The first is in Deuteronomy 20:1, "When thou goes out to battle against thine enemies and seest horses and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid of them; for the Lord thy God is with thee. . .." The second scripture is in D&C 128:22. Joseph Smith, in a letter to the Saints concerning temple work said, "Brethern, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethern and on, on to the victory. . .!"

Many, in our day, also have great challenges to face. Some are just as un-comprehensible to me as those faced by the pioneers. For those facing these problems and conquering them, I applaud you. Your courage is also "undaunted!" You inspire me and I say to each of you--courage brethern (sisters) and on, on to victory! Be not afraid, the Lord thy God is with thee!

Kathi

No comments: