Thursday, May 13, 2010

Be prepared

Doctrine and Covenants 38:30 I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear.

I hate flying. Hate it, hate it, hate it. H.A.T.E. it. I flew out to Seattle to spend time with my mom for a few days (my family and Hawaii are the only two reasons I will ever step foot on a plane :), and on my flight back, just as we were beginning the descent into the Las Vegas airport, the pilot announced that we were in for a bumpy landing due to 40 mph winds. Some lady on the plane and I just looked at each other and then gripped our hand rails for what was to come. I was trying to explain to my husband what it was like - it was simply pure terror for me - and it's all because I had no control over the situation. If I were the pilot, I would feel better about it, because at least I had some control with what was about to happen with my life. However, as a helpless passenger, all I could do was look out the window and notice that our plane was blowing in the wind like some easily destructable paper airplane - only we happened to be 40,000 feet in the air. (I'm getting chills just thinking about it.) So back to my scripture reference.... we have control over how prepared we are. And when we are prepared, we need not fear. Do we have 72 hour kits? 3 months food supply? 1 year food storage? Emergency funds? 6 months worth of living expenses? emergency supplies? Education? Are we the pilot or the helpless passenger?

If we just work on our emergency preparedness a little at a time, eventually we will meet our goals, we will be prepared, and in times of need, we need not fear.

Love, Terri

No comments: