Wednesday, May 19, 2010

SCRIPTURES

A few months ago I got a new set of scriptures. It was one of those situations where you really have mixed emotions. My old scriptures are really hammered. The back has pulled away from the spine, pages are loose or in some cases torn, and they have small print and let's face it, they are hard for me to read now. I really needed a new set. But, I have been marking those scriptures for a lifetime. I have notes written in the margins to help me understand the passages. I have favorite verses highlighted with different colors, I have key words underlined. My old scriptures hold many memories for me. I can remember a special class I took or an outstanding lesson I had because of my notes in my scriptures. I can picture in my mind where to look for a passage because of the way a page has been noted. Many of you can probably relate to this.

Now, I am in the process of trying to mark my new set. Right now I'm marking all of the scripture mastery scriptures you learn in seminary. My daughter teaches early morning seminary and she sent me a whole list of mastery scriptures that they require the seminary students to learn. Much to my surprise, I am really enjoying this task. I'm getting reacquainted with my scriptures. I haven't thought of some of these passages in years. For example, Amos 3:7 states, "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." Now, I know the Lord makes His desires known through the prophet but I couldn't have told you where in the scriptures we have been told that. This one really hit home concerning the last days, 2 Timothy 3:1-5, "(1)This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (2)For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (3)Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (4)Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (5)Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." When I think about the people in gangs, I think this scripture describes them perfectly.

Anyway, I'm glad I've been forced into really looking at my scriptures again.

Kathi

1 comment:

The Evans Family said...

Can you email me a list of those scriptures from the mastery list you received from your daughter for the seminary class? That sounds like a great idea!