Monday, July 12, 2010

MORE SERVICE

We often sing a song in church (one of my personal favorites) that says, "Because I have been given much, I too, must give." In Mosiah 18:27-28 we are instructed to give. "And again Alma commanded that the people of the church should impart of their substance, everyone according to that which he had, if he have more abundantly he should impart more abundantly; and of him that had but little, but little should be required; and to him that had not should be given. And thus they should impart of their substance of their own free will and good desires towards God, and to those priests that stood in need, yea, and to every needy, naked soul."

Our Sacrament meeting talks this past Sunday were about giving service. Shane and Stephanie Jones instructed us wonderfully about our need to fill this commandment of the Lord. Shane related six reasons that people use for giving service. These reasons were ranked from six to one, six being the worst reason for giving service to one being the best reason to serve. These reasons were:
#6 Because you can get gain
#5 Because of fear of punishment
#4 Because of the recognition received
#3 Because of a sense of duty
#2 Because of hope of eternal reward
#1 Because of true love for someone else. A true feeling of charity.

I have had the opportunity since becoming a member of the Relief Society Presidency to observe service being performed all around me by members in our Ward. I can truthfully say, the sisters in our Ward give service because of a true feeling of charity toward others. They receive no temporal reward or recognition. Some may do it because they feel it is their duty but I do't think so. I know there are times I feel it's my duty to go to the fruit orchard or cannery and I lose sight of the big picture. The great benefit that fruit is to those in need. I don't think they are fearful of what might happen if they don't give. Maybe that is a concern for some. Maybe some fear they won't have help when or if they need it if they don't give. I'm certain those giving WILL receive eternal reward but I don't think that's the reason they do it. It's my opinion that the service rendered in our Ward IS true charity and that IS securing eternal happiness.

I appreciate the great example being given to me.

Love, Kathi

No comments: