Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"Wickedness never was happiness"

I've heard "Wickedness never was happiness" for years, but the entire scripture took on new meaning for me when I read it today. 
10 Do not suppose, because it has been spoken concerning restoration, that ye shall be restored from sin to happiness.  Behold, I say unto you, wickedness never was happiness. (Book of Mormon | Alma 41:10)
To me its saying, that just because we know that the restoration exists you still have to work for it - Daily. I love that the underlying statement -- if you want to be happy live the Gospel as best you can. 
This morning on BYU- TV, Sister Marcia Ogden, told a story about a missionary that one Sunday decided he was not going to sin for an entire week. He was very excited and started that Sunday morning. But he was very very disappointed when he was not able to make it until NOON without sinning. However, the wonderful thing he found was that even though he couldn't go one full day without sinning, he still had the spirit with him and he and his companion did very well the entire week. 
The talk ended by talking about the Sacrament... We don't have to be perfect, we just have to try!  That is why we have the sacrament, to allow him to take on our sins every Sunday which gives us a fresh start.
What a wonderful gift we are given each week-- because I'm far from perfect, I am so thankful that he atoned for my sins, so I can return to him. Love, Tammy
** click on the title to listen/watch to the entire talk. I am not doing it justice!!!**

No comments: