Tuesday, February 16, 2010

By Degrees

One of the teachings that John Bytheway brought to life for me in his Righteous Warriors: Lessons from the War chapters talk is Alma 47:18

“and it came to pass that Amalichiah caused that one of his servants should administer poison by degrees to Lehonti”

We are all tempted by degrees. By the television, books magazines. Just try it once, nothing will happen. The shirt (whatever it is) is so cute it won’t matter, this time, that it’s a little low. He's tempting us to come down in our standards little by little (by degrees).

It made me think of everyday life. What are we falling prey too in our home, in our daily lives that is pulling us down? What are the small things that we allow to seep into our daily lives? He (Satan) knows our weaknesses so well.

One of mine is spending money on non-essentials items. I seem to do really good for awhile and then it seems as thought I start spending a little and a little more, then it gets bigger and bigger…and then I find I’m in debt.

WHAT ARE YOUR WEAKNESSES? Commit today to wake up every morning and NOT LET SATAN WIN! Be mindful/watchful of the by degree temptations in your life!!!!!

Tammy
(Check out the full talk on BYUbroadcasting.org, Find a talk and enter John Bytheway)

1 comment:

Kathi Sheffer said...

Tammy, this is so true. I love to watch movies but for many years now I've promised myself I won't watch anything with an R rating. Then a movie comes out with actors I really like and the previews look really good but it has an R rating. I just have to battle myself not to watch it. I know if I give in one time, I've lost this battle.