Friday, March 5, 2010

WHEN WE ARE ON THE LORD'S ERRAND. . .

There was a great movie released several years ago called, "PAY IT FORWARD." In it a school teacher challenged his students to identify one "new" thing that might make a difference in the world and then report on that idea. One student decided that the one thing that might make a difference was to identify three people who had a problem and help them with their problem. They could not repay him for the service he gave them but, they had to identify three other people they could help with a problem. The same rule applied to those people. They could not be repaid for their service, but those they served had to find three other people to help. The little boy's theory was that eventually, because of all the service that was being done, the world would become a better place.

Recently, on TV, a commercial showed people observing other people doing small little acts of kindness; and because of what they observed someone else doing, they, in turn, performed a little act of kindness.

I loved the "PAY IT FORWARD" movie and I like that TV commercial.

This morning, my sweet husband made the bed for me. Now, that is not unusual in our home. He often makes our bed. I always get up before he does and so, when he gets up, he'll make the bed. The reason I brought this up is, one week ago today, my husband was released from the hospital after having total knee joint replacement surgery. Making the bed is very difficult for him right now. But, he still did it and he did it so I wouldn't have to do it. Today I'm going to make a special effort to do something nice for someone else!

Service, even little things, are big in the Lord's eyes. President Thomas S. Monson reminded us in his ENSIGN article, "Duty Calls," May, 1966, that when we are on the Lord's errand, we are entitled to the Lord's help. In Revelation 2:19 we read, "I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last be more than the first."

1 comment:

The Evans Family said...

I love this - thanks Kathi! (Your husband is such a sweet man :)